I love Blueberries. They grow really well in New Zealand and throughout Summer we have an endlessly delicious supply. These tiny blue berries (funny that!) have oodles of health benefits too, things like aiding in weight loss as they are extremely low in calories and helping to prevent heart disease.
Great for lunch-box snacks too, they are easy for little fingers and little teeth. We love including them in fruit kebabs too, but my current favourite breakfast smoothie, combines them with banana, honey, oats and milk. Just take care to brush your teeth thoroughly afterwards, as nobody wants to see dark blue pieces of skin stuck between your teeth. That must be one of the most uncomfortable yet silly things, finding yourself chatting with someone who has no idea they have food hanging onto their teeth and you have to find a way to tell them without making them collapse in embarrassment wondering how may other folk they’ve grinned at who haven’t had the nerve to kindly let them know. Yes, sound like I’m speaking from experience? I am – on both sides of that story.
Read this article to give you 10 good reasons why you should include Blueberries in your diet.
As this is my only breakfast item, tend to make a large one which sees me through til midday when my tummy reminds me it’s time to eat again.
1 large banana
1 handful fresh blueberries, washed
1 good squirt of honey (or about a Tbsp if you must measure)
About a quarter cup raw Oats
Enough milk to take the total measurement up to around 400 ml
- Slice the banana into a large jug with clearly marked measurements up the side.
- Add the blueberries, honey and oats.
- Pour in sufficient milk as mentioned above (it will depend on the other quantities and how much space is left for the milk) but use your discretion as my amount may be too big or small for you.
- Blitz with a stick blender until smooth or in a liquidiser if you have one.
- Drink at your leisure or gulp it down as I do.