I have to tell you that I am absolutely loving Jamie Oliver’s 15 Minute Meals. I’m not one for big name cookery books as they normally use lists of ingredients that have to be sourced from Timbuktoo, but around my birthday last year (and since I have to admit), I was complaining about lack of ideas for our evening meal and the limited time in which I have to prepare something both healthy and tasty. Many of you may agree, but after 20 or so years of cooking evening meals, you tend to run out of ideas and get tired of the same old ingredients and dishes.
In stepped my darling man and walked the city flat to find me a copy of Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals. In typical Jamie fashion, his recipes range from flamboyant to combinations of ingredients I would never have thought of trying together, but that’s why he’s Jamie Oliver and I’m, well … Me.
This particular salad is refreshing and crunchy and juicy and colourful and absolutely tantalizing on the taste buds so is definitely going down as a favourite. The secret ingredient added to a stock standard coleslaw? Pear. Yes, grated pear! As well as replacing the standard mayonnaise-type dressing with a mixture of Red Wine Vinegar and good quality Olive Oil and adding a few spicy rocket leaves to complement the sweetness of the pear. Delicious! Raw cabbage never tasted so good!
And with us in the good ol’ Southern Hemisphere enjoying the still sunny yet cooler days of Autumn, this salad uses the perfect seasonal produce.
1/4 white cabbage
1 small red onion
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
70 g rocket
- If you have one, a food processor comes in really handy as this recipe requires lots of chopping and slicing, but if not, grab your best knife and get busy peeling and trimming the carrots.
- Remove the stalk from the pear and peel the onion.
- Grate the carrot, pear and red onion into a large bowl and add the thinly sliced cabbage.
- Gently whisk the olive oil and vinegar together until well combined and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss together and season to taste.
- Lastly, mix in the rocket leaves and serve.